Register of Approved Vehicles
To support the safety, environmental and anti-theft performance of all road vehicles being provided to the Australian market for the first time, the Road Vehicle Standards Act 2018 (RVSA) replaced the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989 (MVSA) on 1 July 2021.
The RVSA introduced a Register of Approved Vehicles (RAV), an online publicly searchable database of vehicles that have met the requirements of the RVSA and been approved for provision to the Australian market.
Two pathways to RAV entry have also been established, type approval and concessional RAV entry approval. Further information is on the Road Vehicle Standards laws web page.
The details of each vehicle approved for road use will be entered on the RAV.
RAV guide and supporting information
The following documents are for vehicle type approval and authorised vehicle verifier approval holders:
- the RAV guide PDF: 1734 KB : provides information for road vehicle type approval holders about how to enter a vehicle on the RAV
- RAV Supplementary guide for type approvals PDF: 917 KB .
- an example XML file XML: : created using public data from the Road Vehicle Descriptor
- the RAV enrolment form XLSX: 171 KB: prepared for IPA holders to obtain RAV access.
- XML file generator (XML)
- RAV submission CSV template CSV: 1 KB.
- Guides and resources
You can also visit the RAV public search page.
(Note: the above documents are not relevant to holders of a concessional vehicle approval)