Entry Level Programs
2021/22 University Vacation Employment Program applications are expected to open from July 2021.
2022 Career Starter Program applications are expected to open from July 2021.
2022 Indigenous Australian Government Development Program applications are expected to open from April/May 2021.
2021 Winter Stepping Into Program applications are now open and close midnight, Monday 5 April 2021. Apply here!
2021/22 Science Policy Fellowship applications have now closed. Applications for the 2022/23 Science Policy Fellowship are expected to open in approximately November 2021.
We’re at the forefront of the Australian Government’s efforts to connect our communities, secure the nation’s economic future, improve living standards, provide access to high quality communication services and ensure all Australians can enjoy diverse artistic and cultural experiences.
We do this by building stronger communities through major infrastructure planning, investment advice and delivery, transport system reform and strategic development of policies and programs.
We also set the course for Australia’s digital future, encourage participation and excellence in arts and culture, and work on policy that supports and protects our cultural heritage.
If you are seeking an opportunity where you can make a difference in the lives of everyday Australians, you will find it at Infrastructure!
The Department has a diverse range of Entry Level Programs, we recognise and value that team diversity and a culture of inclusion enhances our work performance and the wellbeing of everyone. In 2019, Diversity Council Australia recognised our Department as an inclusive employer for our diversity measures. We encourage graduates of all backgrounds and identities to apply as we are committed to supporting you during the graduate program and beyond.
We are committed to supporting and engaging with Indigenous staff and communities. This is demonstrated in our Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Employment and Retention Strategy 2020-2022 and our upcoming Innovate Reconciliation Action Plan.
You can find further information on our Entry Level Programs below.
- The University Vacation Employment Program is an internship run over the summer university break for current university students to experience working in Government with placements across areas including roles in program management, policy development, national transport systems, finance, communications, the arts, human resources, and regional development.
- The Career Starter Program is an award winning entry level program for students who have recently completed Year 12 and run through the Department of Finance. As a Career Starter, you will have a full time permanent job with a competitive starting salary in the Australian Public Service.
- The Indigenous Australian Government Development Program (IAGDP) is a 12 month entry-level employment and development program open to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who are interested in working in the Australian Public Service (APS). You will have the opportunity to complete a Diploma of Government qualification and focus your studies on a topic area whilst working full time.
- The Stepping Into Program is a national initiative by the Australian Network on Disability (AND) for employers which introduces skilled and talented university students with disability and creates a talent pipeline that actively builds diversity and inclusion. The Summer Stepping Into Program and University Vacation Employment Program are run simultaneously thus providing an extended cohort for support.
- The Science Policy Fellowship is an initiative of the Office of the Chief Scientist that aims to grow the diversity of expertise in the Australian Public Service (APS) workforce. It provides a pathway for early- to mid-career scientists to become skilled policy practitioners.
We are looking for participants that are innovative, curious and future-focused, with a desire to learn and to help shape Australia’s infrastructure, transport, regional development, communications and creative industries.
Explore Career Opportunities
- Cultural Experiences
Come chat with us!
Career Starter Program July Information Session: Date to be confirmed.
Career Starter Program August Information Session: Date to be confirmed.