On this page:
- What is an approved testing facility?
- What has changed from the Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989 (MVSA)?
- Why do I need an approval for a testing facility?
- Who can apply for testing facility approval?
- How do I apply for a testing facility approval?
- When can I apply for an approval?
- Contact the RVSA Implementation Team
An approved testing facility under the Road Vehicle Standards (RVS) legislation undertakes testing of road vehicles and/or road vehicle components for compliance with:
- national road vehicle standards referred to in Australian Design Rules (ADRs), or
- standards determined by the Minister under subsection 89(2) of the Road Vehicle Standards Rules 2019
- or both.
The test results may be used as supporting evidence by applicants for the grant of a type approval, component type approval and Model Report approval to demonstrate compliance with vehicle standards.
Under the new arrangements, a test facility will need to apply to the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Cities and Regional Development (the department) for an approval and be assessed for suitability under the RVS legislation. The Secretary of the department (or a delegate of the Secretary) will make a decision under the Road Vehicle Standards Rules 2019 about whether the applicant is suitable to be granted an approval for a testing facility and what standards they are approved to test against.
Under the RVS legislation, applicants for type approvals, component type approvals and Model Report approvals must obtain test reports from approved testing facilities to demonstrate compliance with applicable national road vehicle standards.
If a test facility registered in RVCS wishes to continue to test road vehicles or road vehicle components for compliance with the applicable road vehicle standards, it must apply for a testing facility approval under the new RVS legislation.
An individual or company that carries out testing on road vehicles and road vehicle components may apply for a testing facility approval.
A testing oversight body, (an individual or company with accredited authorisation and technical qualifications to witness the testing of road vehicles or road vehicle components) may also apply for a testing facility approval.
Details on applying for a testing facility approval is contained in the Guide to Testing Facilities; see Resources below.
Applications for approval are not yet open.
If you are an existing MVSA test facility, you will be notified via email when an application may be made for approval under the RVS legislation. If you are a new applicant and wish to be advised when applications are open, please email the department at RVSAimplementation@infrastructure.gov.au and you will be notified when applications are available.
More information about the new arrangements for testing facilities can be found in the:
- Overview of Testing Facilities PDF: 2669 KB DOCX: 700 KB
- Guide to Testing Facilities PDF: 1419 KB DOCX: 2022 KB
- Road Vehicles Standards Rules 2019 (sections 108 to 124)