Road Vehicle Standards (RVS) legislation implementation
About the RVS legislation
The Road Vehicle Standards Act 2018 (RVSA) and associated Road Vehicle Standards Acts relating to consequential and transitional provisions and charges passed Parliament in late 2018. The Road Vehicle Standards Rules 2019, which cover the operational aspects of the RVSA, were made in February 2019.
The RVSA will replace the existing Motor Vehicle Standards Act 1989 (MVSA) and deliver an updated and modernised system to regulate the first provision of road vehicles to the Australian market. The RVS legislation is being phased in over the coming months to facilitate a smooth transition to the new regulatory framework.
Full implementation of the RVS legislation is anticipated by July 2021.
On this page:
- Latest news and updates
- RVS legislation Implementation timeline
- RVS legislation guides and resources
- RVSA Implementation Consultation Framework
- RVSA guidance material consultation
- The Roads Vehicle Standards legislation
- Contact the RVSA Implementation Team
Latest news and updates
- Cost Recovery Implementation Statement approved
- New arrangements for testing facilities under the RVS legislation are expected to commence from March/April 2020
- Updated Cost Recovery Implementation Statement is available now
- Interim arrangements for specialist and enthusiast vehicles and vehicles at least 25 years old are in place for eligible vehicles
- Extension of commencement of Road Vehicle Standards legislation
- more news…
RVS legislation implementation timeline
The RVS legislation will commence on a date to be agreed by the Australian Government in consultation with stakeholders, but by no later than 1 July 2021.
When the RVS legislation commences, there will be a 12 month transitional period during which some MVSA approvals will continue to be in force.
The department has undertaken an extensive and targeted consultation process to ensure industry and specific stakeholders are sufficiently informed of the changes and have the opportunity to provide feedback.
Enabling provisions of the RVS legislation are being implemented in a phased approach up until July 2021 to ensure a smooth transition to the new regulatory framework.
No earlier than March 2020
Component type approvals
No earlier than June 2020
Specialist and Enthusiast Vehicles Register and authorised vehicle verifiers
No earlier than December 2020
All other RVSA provisions:
Concessional RAV & non-RAV entry pathways
No earlier than March 2021
Under the RVS legislation
Changes are coming for the following under the RVS legislation:
- Importing a vehicle
- Register of Approved Vehicles (RAV) – new
- Vehicle certification
- Registered automotive workshops
- Model Reports – new
- Authorised vehicle verifiers – new
- Testing facilities (current registered test facilities need to become approved testing facilities under the RVSA
- Specialist and Enthusiast Vehicles Register
- Component type approvals (replacing CRNs and SARNs) – new
- Vehicle recalls
RVS legislation guides and resources
The department has published guidance materials that provide further information on the application processes under the RVS legislation. This guidance and links to other useful resources can be accessed on the RVS legislation guides and resources page.
RVSA Implementation Consultation Framework
The department established the RVSA Implementation Consultation Framework to facilitate the smooth implementation of the Road Vehicle Standards legislation through a targeted consultation process.
RVSA guidance material consultation
A range of guidance material that will be developed to support the implementation of the Road Vehicle Standards legislation will continue to be developed. Further information, including draft material for consultation with stakeholders, will be posted to the RVSA guidance material consultation page as it becomes available.
The Roads Vehicle Standards legislation
The commencement date of the main provisions of the Road Vehicle Standards Act 2018 has been postponed by the Road Vehicle Standards Legislation Amendment Act 2019 (RVSLAA).
The new commencement date will be fixed by proclamation or by 1 July 2021 if not fixed before this date. From the day of commencement, a 12 month transitional period will begin, during which transitional arrangements will be in place that allow some approval holders to continue operating under existing approvals.
The Road Vehicle Standards package of legislation includes:
- The Road Vehicle Standards Legislation Amendment Act 2019 (RVSLAA)
- The Road Vehicle Standards Act 2018 (RVSA) as amended by the RVSLAA
- The Road Vehicle Standards (Consequential and Transitional Provisions) Act 2018 as amended by the RVSLAA
- The Road Vehicle Standards Charges (Imposition – General) Act 2018
- The Road Vehicle Standards Charges (Imposition – Customs) Act 2018
- The Road Vehicle Standards Charges (Imposition – Excise) Act 2018
- Road Vehicle Standards Rules 2019
Contact the RVSA Implementation Team
By Post: The Director
Program Support and Stakeholder Engagement
Vehicle Safety Standards Branch
Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications
GPO Box 594
Canberra ACT 2601