National Heavy Vehicle Charging Pilot
The National Heavy Charging Pilot (National Pilot) is an innovative industry partnership testing potential direct user charging options for heavy vehicles.
Two On-Road Trials will be delivered between 2019 and 2021.
How does the National Pilot work?
- Participation is voluntary and no money will be collected.
- No decisions have been made to change the way heavy vehicle charges are currently collected.
- Any future decisions to implement a new way of collecting heavy vehicle charges would be informed by the real-life experience of industry, following a full evaluation of the National Pilot.
1. Small Scale On-Road Trial – commenced mid-July 2019
11 operators are contributing more than 180 heavy vehicles to participate in this six month trial. This trial is testing whether telematics devices already installed in vehicles can measure mass and distance effectively.
The following organisations are participating in the Small Scale On-Road Trial:
- Bridgestone Australia Ltd
- Buslines Group Pty Ltd
- Conroy Removals Pty Ltd
- De Bruyn's Transport
- EROAD (telematics provider)
- John West Logistics Pty Ltd
- J R Bulk Liquid Transport (Blu Logistics)
- Nuline Charter Pty Ltd
- Quinn Transport
- Simon National Carriers
- D & S Smith Haulage Pty Ltd
- Toll Group
- Transport Analytica (service provider)
- Volvo Buses (telematics provider)
- Volvo Trucks (telematics provider)
2. Large Scale On-Road Trial – Commencing in 2020
The Large Scale On-Road Trial PDF: 115 KB will include up to 100 operators and 1,000 heavy vehicles. Recruitment is underway and is focused on smaller operators from key road freight sectors across every state and territory, including owner drivers and those who currently do not have telematics.
Benefits for Business
- No financial outlay to businesses
- Telematics devices or hubodometers installed and maintained in participating vehicles, of eligible businesses for the life of the trial
- Compare and analyse your existing business running costs
- Your opportunity to help inform and shape future policy
Interested? Contact the National Pilot team on 1800 065 113 Monday to Friday between 9am – 5pm AEST or email National.Pilot@infrastructure.gov.au
Developing the Foundation for the National Pilot
During 2018-2019, The Department, all levels of governments, industry and expert consultants collaborated to develop the foundation for the National Pilot. More detail on the Foundation projects can be found here. PDF: 127 KB