Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan
The Australian Government is delivering on its plan to build a stronger and more prosperous Western Sydney by investing $2.9 billion over ten years in major infrastructure upgrades that will transform the region's economy.
The Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan involves major road and transport linkages that will capitalise on the economic gains from developing an airport at Badgerys Creek while boosting the local economy and liveability of Western Sydney, making it an even greater place to live and do business.
This investment will relieve pressure on existing infrastructure and unlock the economic capacity of the region by easing costly congestion, slashing travel times and creating thousands of local jobs.
This program includes:
- upgrade of The Northern Road to a minimum of four lanes from Narellan to Jamison Road, Penrith.
- construction of a new east-west motorway to the airport between the M7 Motorway and The Northern Road (to be known as the M12 Motorway).
- upgrade of Bringelly Road to a minimum of four lanes between The Northern Road and Camden Valley Way.
- construction of the Werrington Arterial Road by upgrading Kent Road and Gipps Street to four lanes between the Great Western Highway and the M4 Motorway.
- upgrade of the intersection of Ross Street and the Great Western Highway.
- a $200 million package for local roads upgrades, to be delivered across four rounds over ten years.
The Australian Government has also announced that Badgerys Creek will be the site for a new airport for Western Sydney. Further details on this announcement can be found on the Western Sydney airport website.
The following websites provide information on the specific projects and may help to answer your questions:
- 1 July 2016—30 June 2017 Report Card PDF: 6395 KB
- The Northern Road
- Bringelly Road
- M7 to The Northern Road Motorway
Please consult the New South Wales Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) website for further information on the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan and specific project details. RMS has also established a Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan Portal.
The Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan is investing in major infrastructure projects to transform the region. A map of the Western Sydney Infrastructure Plan, including roads to be upgraded, is available below. The map includes the Local Roads Package. All Round 1 projects are complete, with Round 2 projects now underway or in the planning stage. Applications for Round 3 are expected to be invited in mid-2018.
- Download High resolution map PDF: 340 KB