University Vacation Employment Program
Level: APS1, salary of $51,458
Duration: November 2020 – February 2021
Location: Canberra, ACT
The Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications is looking for interns with a strong vision for Australia's future and a willingness to identify problems and implement innovative solutions.
The department is at the forefront of the Australian Government's efforts to secure the nation's economic future, improve living standards and benefit Australia's creative and communication services. We do this by building stronger communities through major infrastructure planning, investment advice and delivery, transport system reform, effective program & grants management, and strategic development of policies and programs.
We manage some of Australia's most significant infrastructure and arts projects which impact the wider community, including regulating airports, implementing the Smart Cities Plan, the development of the Western Sydney Airport, Australia Post, delivering the NBN network and Indigenous Repatriation.
Our University Vacation Employment Program is an internship designed to provide an opportunity for university students to experience a taste of Government with placements across areas including roles in program management, policy development, national transport systems, finance, communications, the arts, human resources, and regional development.
We encourage applications from all disciplines and you can be sure that your work will be contributing to the future productivity, livability and sustainability of Australia.
You will gain valuable, on the job experience, the opportunity to develop networking skills, contacts and social skills required in a professional environment, and the chance to showcase your skills and knowledge in the workplace.
You will work alongside a leadership team with a vast array of subject matter expertise across a range of fields.
This is a paid internship and, if successful, you will be employed on a non-ongoing (temporary) basis and receive a minimum annual base salary of an APS level 1 employee, equivalent to $51,458 per annum (pro rata).
To be eligible for the University Vacation Employment Program, you must:
- be an Australian Citizen at the time an offer is made;
- Be completing an undergraduate degree as a minimum (applications are accepted from students at any point in their study);
- be available for your placement between November 2020 and February 2021;
- be available for a minimum of 8 weeks and up to 12 weeks;
- have maintained at least a credit average;
- be able to obtain and/or maintain a Baseline security clearance.
Our positions are located in Canberra with potential positions in regional locations if work is available. Any successful interstate candidates will be responsible for their own travel, accommodation and associated costs.
How to Apply
Application dates for this Program will become available from Friday 14 August, 2020 and close at 11:59pm (AEST) on Friday 4 September, 2020! When applying, please provide:
- A response (of no longer than 500 words each) to a few questions asking you to demonstrate your interest in the department and what skills you have that could contribute to the Program.
- A CV (of no more than two pages in length); and
- The details of two referees (professional referees preferred).
If you are interested in the program, please Apply Here.
Should you have any questions in the interim, please contact the Entry Level Programs Team on PeopleCapability@infrastructure.gov.au.