Protection of Airspace
The Department protects the airspace around leased Federal airports under Part 12 of the Airports Act 1996 (the Act) and the Airports (Protection of Airspace) Regulations 1996.
Persons wishing to undertake activities that will result in an intrusion of protected airspace are required to apply to the relevant airport-operator company. If the proposed activity is short term, i.e. 3 months or less, the airport-operator company may approve the application. If the proposed activity is long term, i.e. more than 3 months, then the airport-operator company coordinates assessments of the proposal and forwards these and the application to the Department for final assessment and approval.
How to apply for approval
The airport is the first point of contact for a person wishing to apply for approval, and the airport-operator company coordinates the process of assessments of applications from other parties. Applications for approval must set out:
- The nature of the proposed activity
- Its precise location
- The proposed maximum height, expressed in metres above the Australian Height datum (AHD)
- The purpose of the proposed activity.
The airport-operator company assesses applications and seeks further assessment from the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) and Airservices Australia. Please check with the relevant airport for any special requirements. The proponent's application and the assessments are then sent to the Department for final assessment and approval.
Airspace Protection at Leased Federal Airports
- What is the law?
- What is Protected Airspace?
- What is a Controlled Activity?
- How do you know you need an approval?
- How do you apply?
- Assessment of Applications
- Approval Process
Information for Crane Operators
- The need for approval to operate cranes in protected airspace
- How do you apply?
- The approval
- Complying with the approval
Information for Operators of Leased Federal Airports
- Guidelines for Airport Operators PDF: 93 KB (last updated 11/12/2019)
- Application to carry out a controlled activity in protected airspace DOCX: 50 KB
For further information please contact:
Ph: 02 6274 6125