Aviation Access Forum (AAF)
The Aviation Access Forum (AAF) was established in 2013 to provide advice to the Australian Government on disability access policy as well as operational and administrative issues associated with access to air services for people with disability.
The AAF also provides an opportunity for information to be exchanged between representatives of disability sector organisations, the aviation industry and Australian Government agencies as a means of further improving disability access in aviation.
Queries in relation to the AAF can be sent to: AAF_secretariat@infrastructure.gov.au.
The AAF is made up of members from:
- organisations representing passengers with disability, including the Australian Federation of Disability Organisations, Physical Disability Australia, National Disability Services, Paraquad, the Deafness Forum of Australia, Spinal Cord Injuries Australia and Inclusion Australia
- airline, airport and industry body representatives
- Australian Government agencies, including the Attorney-General's Department, the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA), the Department of Social Services and the Australian Human Rights Commission
The AAF is chaired by the Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Communications, which also provides Secretariat support.
The following advisory material has been developed by the AAF to assist airline and airport operators, as well as passengers with disability travelling by air:
- Carriage of Mobility Aids—Guidance Material for Airline and Airport Operators PDF: 445 KB
- Carriage of Mobility Aids—Guidance Material for Passengers PDF: 457 KB
- Staff Training—Guidance Material PDF: 31 KB
- Review of Airline Two Wheelchair Policies
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic the AAF meeting scheduled in May 2020 was postponed. We are following the Australian Government's advice to reduce any risks and ensure the safety and wellbeing of others.
Please note that details of any future AAF meetings will be included in the latest Record of Outcomes.
Summary records of meetings:
- Summary Record of Outcomes 12 November 2019 PDF: 334 KB
- Summary Record of Outcomes 20 June 2019 PDF: 71 KB
- Summary Record of Outcomes 13 November 2018 PDF: 67 KB
- Summary Record of Outcomes 1 May 2018 PDF: 64 KB
- Summary Record of Outcomes 1 November 2017 PDF: 375 KB
- Summary Record of Outcomes 3 May 2017 PDF: 281 KB